Friday, June 28, 2013

Reminiscent of a Diary (minus my current crushes and what all the girls said at school today)

A bit early to my evening English lesson today, so I walk around a nearby park. I've got a cold raspberry yoghurt (drinkable of course) to cool me from the recent heat wave in Moscow. A murder of crows (I love saying that) is harassing a dog a few feet away as one swoops down just out of reach of the angry cuss while the others jaw and cackle at the scene. I worked on my thesis defense all day today, and this little break is much needed before work.

After my lesson I come home and throw on my running clothes as fast as I can. It looks like a summer drizzle might start, and if I don't go now I won't get in a run today. About a kilometer into the run what looked like a sprinkle breaks into a microburst downpour. The night sky usually stays light until about 10.30 or even 11.00 this late into June, but the clouds block out all light from the fleeting sun tonight. Explosions of lightning give brief glimpses of the forest path in front of me, helping me dodge any obstacles.

But what may seem like bad luck to most runners is a refreshing break for this one. The rain not only cools the air, but pulls the heavy pollution out of it momentarily. The pollution gets so thick in this heat that it's almost hard to breath sometimes.

Before going home I stop in a grocery store for some chocolate milk (OH YEAH!) and I'm certain that every last eye in the little shop is fixed on my dripping, wet-dog appearance the entire five minutes it takes to get the milk. Despite the glares, today's run was a fantastic way to end a typical Moscow summer day.


The disheveled room behind me really accents the disheveled me after my run.




No comments:

Post a Comment