Sunday, June 23, 2013

A piece-of-junk bike is all I need for a good time

In the spirit of juicing life I went on a forest bike ride yesterday. One of my favorite parts about Moscow is that it is dotted with forested parks. When the hustle and bustle of everyday life gets to be too much, I love escaping to these little sanctuaries. We (I) packed some snacks, went to the park ВДНХ, rented some super awesome bikes (these are possibly the worst bikes I've ever seen in my life...they warned us not to push the pedals too hard. I thought this was a joke until halfway through the ride one of my pedals snapped in half), and were on our way to The Forested Island (Лесиный Остров).
You shouldn't try to take pictures while riding a bike at full speed...unless you're awesome.

I love that things just grow here almost on accident...being from a barren desert, I'm used to having to tenderly coax life in vegetable form out of the ground. Here wild strawberries just pop up randomly.

We nicknamed our route 'post-apocalyptic alley'

...and you can see why

The road says 'A sober Russia is a great Russia.' I agree in principle, but this has historically never happened, so no one really knows.

Great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment