Wednesday, July 3, 2013

I Defended My Thesis Because No One Else Would...Poor Little Guy

That's right, on Monday this week I defended my thesis. This was the last act of the theatrics that were my Master's Program. The reviews were fantastic. I got a happy rainbow pot o'gold (scores are given in lucky charms here, just another peculiarity about Russia).

Another peculiarity about Russia is that apparently your program forgets you exist for 6 months while you're trying to write your thesis. This got quite depressing at times, since I had to go about teaching myself the entire subject matter. I learned so much about myself in the process, but I think the paper turned out slightly worse than it would have with support. Anyway, significant effort went into this paper, so I thought I'd include my abstract here on my blog just for memory's sake.

Abstract                                                      


This thesis will investigate short-run investment herding in Russian markets.  It has two objectives:  first, it will explore informational cascades as an example of herding to suggest a timeline in Russian markets. Second: it will apply game theory to transition conditions to suggest a larger Eastern European context for the Russian example. There is some scholarly interest in herding in developed and developing countries, but there is little literature on transition countries[1]. Do herding models have validity outside advanced markets? The answer to this question can be found partly in price irregularities in the market. My thesis has policy-relevant conclusions.




[1]      See Miller (2008)

6 comments:

  1. Cheers Bryce. Don't forget to publish your thesis so that at least you've got it in your bookshelf somewhere. I'm saying this because I've still never published mine.

    So, what crazy adventure are we going to seek out when you get back? I'm in Utah until Saturday, and I got permission in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryce! Congratulations! Every thesis needs an advocate and a friend. Glad you could be there when it needed you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who did publish their thesis, it is well worth the time to create a bookcase for the copies you'll never hand out and to track the number of times you aren't cited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll put that on my list of things to do to my thesis...and sure, i'll send you a copy.

      Delete
  4. Also, can I read it?

    ReplyDelete