Friday, December 7, 2012

Angkor Wat?

Cambodia comes at you in a flood. Movement is everywhere at the border, crashing over you in a wave of hustlers trying to earn a quick 20 bucks off of the unwary traveler willing to buy a fake visa, only to find the real border 20 yards further along. The roads suddenly become hectic, and I just found myself sort of swimming with the current. Once we made it to the real border (without being hustled I might add) we were herded into stalls at passport control. I had neglected to print off passport photos, so Tyler and I conducted a social experiment...I used his spare photos for my visa at the border. It turns out that not only can Asians not tell the difference between white people, they can't tell the difference between two identical photos. Either that, or someone really just doesn't care about his job.


Anyway, we arrived in Siem Riep after a long day of travel. Siem Riep is the tourist town next to Angkor Wat, and it's possibly the worst place I've ever been. Dirt roads wind through neon lit massage shops, night markets, and garbage restaurants. The whole town is built around providing sex, drugs, alcohol, and knock off Cambodian food to tourist trash that wanders these streets. The only good thing about the place was our hotel, which only cost $6 a night, and was super nice. Here's Glen's reaction to our hotel: 


Angkor Wat itself was magnificent, and made the trip worthwhile. 

 Glen's 'everything is pointless' look
 -"Hey little guy, did you get lost?"
-Holy mackerel, a talking dog!

 Glen and I wandered into the forbidden temple...really though, we weren't supposed to be there. But you all know me, I'm a rule breaker.


Glen totally snuck up on me there...

I got lost, but in the end it was I who found me...or I just wandered around for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment