Monday, January 14, 2013

Sick Day


Almost like clockwork. It’s mid-winter, and I’ve caught a bad cold. It’s as if my body looks outside through the frostbitten windowpane and says, ‘you’re not going out there, not today my friend.’ My body and I have always been at odds when it comes to winter activities. I say, ‘ooo, cross country skiing!’ and my body says, ‘yeah, how about you sleep in till the sun comes up?’ It should come as no surprise that my body usually wins - after all, it is MY body…


Today I decided I’d cancel everything and just stay inside until this cold was gone. I think it’s working, but even if it doesn’t, I’m going out tomorrow as if it did. It turns out staying inside a tiny room for an entire day is mind-numbingly boring. In attempts to break through the boredom I’ve kept myself busy with the following: reading 2 of Tolstoy’s short stories in Russian, relearning linear algebra from a textbook I found, practicing blues guitar, making blueberry blini (pretty much crepes, I can’t tell the difference anyway), bothering people on facebook, and chatting it up with the plumber who re-caulked my bathroom today (nice guy…and fun side note, all the blue collar workers in Russia always wear funny little jumpsuits that make them look like Mario, and since mustaches are still in vogue here they are spot on). But most of the time I cuddle with my heater on my bed, and sip medicine tea that completely knocks me out. 


The good news is that I will face the world tomorrow as a new man. My head is swimming from the medicine tea now though, so I’m going to end this post before it becomes too incomprehensible.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you're sick, Bryce. My kids both just got over annoyingly long sicknesses. Reece had a cough, ear infection and cold for almost two months. 15 days of antibiotics clears that up, though. You know how that goes, right? Sorry I missed chatting with you when you had time to chat.

    ReplyDelete