Sunday, April 8, 2012

Brain Fever

As pale sickness does invade your frailer part, the breaches made, in that fair lodging still more clear make the bright guest, your soul, appear. -Edmund Waller

I must have gone outside with wet hair, because I got sick a few days ago (that's how people get sick here, that or catching a draft of wind). Only, as usual, I decided to deny the fact that my body could succumb to something so petty as a virus or bacteria. So naturally, I went running and rock climbing...two days in a row. Before you condemn me as a complete idiot, remember that...no, go ahead, it's true.

The following hours became a blur of only semi-conscious attempts to calm the fire in my throat, and to warm my freezing body. Having a fever is so surreal. It's almost as if you're placed as an observer of life, instead of an active player. I felt completely unable to communicate any substantial thought. Instead, sleeping more than I thought was ever possible, I saw life going by through my sick eyes.

Finally, around 5 am on Easter Sunday (or Palm Sunday, depending on where you live) my fever broke. I was lying in bed absolutely drenched in sweat. It was such a relieving and sudden passing that I could hardly contain myself. Either my eyes were leaking wayward bodily fluids (just like every other facial orifice during my sickness), or I was weeping out of joy. In any case, I made it through the crucible.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm glad you're okay. It's an Easter miracle! Not THE Easter miracle, but a good one, nonetheless. You can always email me if you need anything, even extra prayers. We love our Brycie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes. I'm glad you got better. You really shouldn't try to be superman and do all those athletic things while sick. Although, I suppose that is the essence that makes up the Carr clan. Seems you all do it...

    ReplyDelete