Wednesday, January 11, 2012

“In America you can always find a party. In Russia the party always finds you.”

Below I have listed reasons that I love living in Moscow. They are some less obvious reasons that I have found this to be a uniquely interesting city to live in. If any of my fellow Muscovites can think of other reasons this is a great city, please feel free to add to my list.

1: I am desperately in love. Lena works at a local bakery, and her work is...well it's beautiful. I'm pretty sure she loves me too, and I told her before Christmas break that I can't live without her. She pretends like its just a joke, but I think we're going to run away together someday. We'll bake beautiful bread together. I don't care that she's twice my age plus some, that's not what love is about. Love is about fresh cinnamon rolls, warm baguettes, and those little doughnuts filled with творог (tvorog, it's sort of like a mixture of cottage cheese, cream cheese, and what I think are the tears of a Siberian tiger).

2: Spreadable cheeses. They come in various flavors such as pesto, bacon, basil and tomato, parmesan (¿spell check is telling me to capitalize that?), and cucumber to name a few. They're so ghetto, but I love them so.

3: You'll want to sit down for this one. Several people have commented that I'm a good dancer. No, it's still me, Bryce, writing-I know, I was just as surprised as you. I have gone to a few clubs while I've been here (again, it's still Bryce, just a bit out of character), and at one of them, a photographer took a bunch of pictures of me and the girl I was dancing with. My suspicions are that it was sort of an "Elaine from Seinfeld" situation, where I just dance so terribly that it had to be documented.

4: Drinkable Yogurt mixed with the cereal подушечки (podushechki-little pillows, I can't describe them). I am addicted to this breakfast...I just ate a whole thing of podushechki. I also just realized that three of the reasons are trivial foods. Yet, I will not edit this list.

5: Running in the forest near my house. While Moscow is the biggest city I've ever lived in, it still has great running. I run in the forest-park near my home almost every day, and I'm still not sick of it despite a playful attack by a rottweiler there. I also thought I would hate running in the winter here, but it's actually great. The crunch of snow under my feet, the cold wind running down my jacket cools me. I can also freely wear just running tights here. It's not that people don't glare at me for it, it's just that they glare at me anyway, so I might as well be comfortable, and give them a little something to brighten up their day at the same time. That little something is my попа in tight spandex.

Hopefully this list has engraved images of my stuffing my face with cheese while wearing tight spandex and dancing. If not, then you can enjoy this little clip.

6 comments:

  1. Bryce, I feel like we could have an in-depth conversation on the title of your post alone. So many things I want to ask and understand (although "nona" is not one of them...should I add that to my list of Russian words I can never use?). I'm glad you're having fun. Either that or this list is just you trying to convince yourself that you're having fun. Either way, I was entertained. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, everyone who doesn't currently live in San Diego/paradise is trying to do the same thing..."it's not so bad here, it's no San Diego, but hey, I can make due."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post, as usual. You need to learn how to make some of those breads so you can teach me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Liz, ironically I actually got the idea for the post from a lot of what you wrote before you came back from France.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy the fame now...when you get home, you'll realize that you are still a nerd! :) I ate that chocolate cereal all the time!! It is DELICIOUS!! It always makes me think of that Calvin and Hobbes cartoon and the Chocolate cereal he gets hyped up on Sat. mornings. I think they're called Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs. I think that's a pretty accurate translation. Here's a short description of them for your enjoyment:

    Calvin of Calvin and Hobbes fame has been known to eat Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs which Calvin says are "tasty, lip-smacking, crunchy-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the-inside, and they don't have a single natural ingredient or essential vitamin to get in the way of that rich, fudgy taste." Hobbes says the cereal makes his heart skip and likens this cereal to "eating a bowl of milk duds".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I think about every time I eat them!

      Delete