Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Nothing special, just гречка and a балкон. It's silly really.

The glorious Moscow summer has officially set in. As my time in Russia is likely winding to a slow, dragged-out end, I've taken the time to really just sit back and enjoy time as it slips through my open fingers. I guess it started with my disappointment with my last race, ironically the last post on this blog. It seemed like a good excuse to change things up, so I decided to start eating better, particularly beefing up my breakfasts, and cutting down on midnight meals. I figure that devoting more time to my meals forces me to get up at a reasonable hour, and starts the day off right...
Part of a balanced breakfast! Buckwheat is a popular choice in Russia. I've really grown to like it mixed with spicy cheese and eggs...apparently eating whole grains doesn't help me clean my messy desk though.
I guess the buck-wheaties have paid off, because I've set aside more quality Bryce time. I've  recently taken to balconying as much as possible. One thing I love about living in a larger city is having a balcony...a wonderful little lookout on my little part of town. I like to go out and read (currently going through East of Eden--so good!), play the guitar, hang out, or just think. It's quickly becoming my favorite spot, it's a shame the weather prevents me from even considering stepping onto the balcony for 8 months out of the year.
Today there was a gorgeous summer rain, with the sun peaking through just as it was about to set.

So I stepped out for an evening read...the sun glinting off the raindrops did a good job of distracting me though.
No overriding lesson to be learned from this blogpost, no deep thoughts, no new little place I've explored. Sorry.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bryce, now that you've got a high-powered degree from a notable international institution, I can get you a short-term summer gig that pays about $12 an hour for two weeks of work. You'd be a counselor at a camp that teaches kids about nature. And, you know, you like nature and stuff. Plus you could come live with us for a few weeks in July and kick it in the Bay area, see if you like it.

    I also wanted to tell you that I played Bridge tonight with Paul and his buddies (read "buddies" as "80 year-old men"). It made me feel like I was experiencing something new and simple about life, which is somewhat similar to what you're expressing in this post. Also, we won, and I want to brag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to take your comment as a compliment rather than an attack on my master's degree, and I'm going to have to gracefully decline your generous camp counselor position (although I'm sure it'd totally lead to hijinks, which you know I love).

    ReplyDelete